Monday, September 1, 2008

football

I am delighted to once again be immersed in college football. Perhaps it is simply the time of year: somehow it signals the end of the oppressive hot weather and promises turning colors, cool nights and braised foods. When asked what foods I would pair with a given wine that we are pouring I find myself suggesting braised foods for the big reds. During the heat of summer the customers look at me like I am crazy; who would have the oven or stove top going for hours in July or August? It is why I love my crockpot. So why does the word Crockpot conjure up images of casseroles and bland foods? If someone asks how I made something and I say I braised it for hours they think of something rich and savory. However, if I said I put something in the crockpot in the morning and it will be ready tonight they aren't so anxious to join in the meal. Maybe just the mental image. If you say casserole it isn't nearly as attractive as saying you are having Paella or risotto for dinner but they are essentially the same things: a variety of foods thrown together and cooked to enhance the flavors. It's one of my favorite things on menus, to see how they have described something to make it sound much fancier than it really is.

No comments: